“I just got my ass kicked.”

Those were my thoughts as I got off the treadmill last night at my second RunSMART session. I had just finished a 3 minute “run to exhaustion,” and I must have done it right because I was exhausted! The machine was a non-powered treadmill, and the telemetry of speed, power, and time was being fed into a computer, to later be crunched through Excel and presented to us.

I also spent time on a regular treadmill as Dr Pettitt videotaped me from the side and rear. When we reviewed it, no major flaws were found. The one thing I have to work on is increasing the angle of hip hyperextension. I think this will be slowly be addressed through strengthening of the core, especially the iliopsae and prirformis muscles.

Our dietician didn’t pore over our 3 day diary, but pointed us toward some on-line resources to help us assess our logged meals (plus snacks and fluids). A couple takeaways from our time with her are:

Keep your refrigerator and pantry stocked with healthy foods.

Eat good food within 15 minutes of exercise (4:1 carb / protein ratio)   Milk for me 🙂

An 80/20 balance works – Keep about 80% of your caloric intake as good food, and the other 20% will take care of itself.

It is important to show our children how to eat well, and yet not become obsessed about the choices we make.

The results of the treadmill test show that I haven’t done my flat-out best in a race yet. In fact, this data shows what I could do physically if I didn’t let pain and other external inputs allow my brain to reduce effort. All runners have to create a balance between a sense of suffering and the desire to run faster. The best seem to have a higher tolerance for those sensations.

I gained a lot from the RunSMART program. Obviously the physical screening by Dr Pettitt will have lasting benefit as I run into the future. I now have a good resource for core strengthening and stretching and also know where to focus my attention. Dr Kamphoff gave us good guidance on developing a mantra and when we should use it. Mine isn’t flashy, but it does change my focus for a short while I run, and serves its purpose well. April Graff’s approach to nutrition synched well with mine. We need to consume a balanced diet, not label foods as bad, but allow special foods as a treat daily. Also, “Don’t try anything new on race day.”

I hope to post my gait video, and possibly portions of the 3 minute test results in the future.

“‘The right stuff’ on this level is some combination of these four qualities: talent, durability, determination and courage. Not everyone needs a monster four, but everyone has to have some combination of the four of these.” – Mark Wetmore, University of Colorado Cross Country Coach

 

Advertisements